Wednesday, August 10, 2011

MY DRESS IS NOT A YES……. AND I AM NOT YOUR PREY

I have never given so much thought to how I should start my particular post but I don’t know how come I gave so much thought to this one. Well, maybe because I know people go through what I write & hence it should be presentable enough. But I guess I will stick to my basics & write whatever is in my mind not considering how it starts & ends. This time my post may not be liked by many, but still I don’t want to stop.
DELHITES, Boys (having sisters, mothers, gf’s) & Girls in particular, who are reading this post, I want to ask that while they are stepping out of their home, do they realize they are not safe & anything & everything can happen to them (considering the city & the country we are living in)???? THE GIST IS THAT WE GUYS DO REALISE THE FACT THAT WE ARE UNSAFE, BUT WE TEND TO IGNORE IT. All must have seen movies such as Dushman, No One killed Jessica, or the recent one – Murder 2, but still we ignore the bottom line that the incidents in those movies happened with a women. We can happily adapt the fashion trends from our Bollywood flicks but learning something out of them is not our cup of tea. The message is out rightly loud & clear that the female gender in our city is not safe – be it of any age slab….. The abhorrent crimes are committed even with an 8 year old girl child. If the crime towards women has turned that barbaric, how can we afford to ignore our safety issues?
Pick up any random date newspaper & reports of molestation & rape seem to be an ordinary thing now. They are so regular. And now when I mentioned reports here, I fail to understand how the editors classify a particular incident as a front page headline stuff or a news that has to be put on 5th page. A Rape is a Rape right? Be it the Dhaula Kuan rape case or the recent ‘prevented rape’ of the pub employee…..
I am sick of hearing statements such as “Society’s attitude needs to be changed”…… Society is made up of WE people, BUT HAS OUR ATTITUDE CHANGED TOWARDS OUR OWN SAFETY??? I witnessed this incident recently while I was travelling in the lady’s coach of Delhi metro. A girl, 20 years old, was wearing a tee & hot pants, an elderly women was watching her & out of concern scolded her that “why are you wearing such short stuff?” The girl instantly replied back saying “See lady, my parents do not have a problem, why are you creating a fuss? Its none of your business.” The lady was astonished for a moment but replied back “Fine…. You go ahead & wear such stuff…. But tell me, are you equipped enough to protect yourself if in any case animals decide to rape you today? What will your parents do then?” The statement stunned the girl, she had no answer……………
The Slut Walk recently held at DU disseminated the message of alarming women safety & the need of attitude transformation of men towards women. But I guess what is needed is spreading awareness as to how women should protect themselves in case of any incident. Moving out in groups, avoiding shady areas & shady timings, carrying a swiss knife, learning the basic martial art techniques can help in escaping the critical situation.
I wonder how can one spend hundreds on a ‘dance class’ but a martial art class is something they consider inessential.
Are we waiting for the society’s attitude to change??? That would take its own sweet time, when the government would get more stringent on incidents such as rape. Before changing others, one’s own attitude should change. If a transformation has to occur, this is the only way it would occur. And I cannot understand that girls being very very well aware of the present scenario still choose to wander around without ensuring their safety. Rather than shouting slogans ‘My short dress is a not a Yes’, one should accept the fact that merely spreading this word would not help. If a girl cannot take herself seriously, nobody else can take her seriously. We would not find Amit Sehrawat everywhere. OUR SAFETY LIES IN OUR OWN HANDS……

12 comments:

Smorty said...

Very rightly side Neha, Its about the "people" we have to change. Nothing can be done unless we do somthing about ourselves.

Neha said...

i am glad u agree with me :)

Anonymous said...

I guess , things are not as simple as it seems and solution not as readily available.....Its more about me rather than us .....whole stuff stinks and answer lies in the complex loose society structure/ our education system and so called modernistic values(sic!!).With families crumbling and no emotional support available it is unending loope and each one of us are equally responsible for it.

Anonymous said...

Again, a good one by you.

I fully dont agree with ur blog, but more than the content, I love how u express it.

Post often pls :)

Johnathn

Neha said...

@an0nym0us - see, its nt abt d em0ti0nal supp0rt fr nw, neither abt m0dernistic values.......... its jst dt v need t0 b careful, kn0wing that 0ur city is unsafe.........bein well aware yet behavin ign0rant is d pr0b here.....

Neha said...

@j0nathan - thank u :)

Anonymous said...

pls... can i get a chance to know you more? :)





John

Anonymous said...

Yes there should realize the opportunity to RSS commentary, quite simply, CMS is another on the blog.

Unknown said...

I wont take away the right by which someone chooses the way they dress up. It might have a point to it. But Delhites like being too 'fancy' about everything they tend to do. It's so engraved within us and it's spreading like a plague. We might just call it the making on an Indian Metropolis. But status quo, I can say there many anachronistically different India's which reside along our ever expanding city. It's hot soup of different cultures. The views and opinions of the ones within it would never seem to coincide. Also, the problem seems genetic and anatomical in the male race. It's not only the average stratum of the society who are probable to commit such crimes. Just today, I read a story of a senior executive in an MNC raped an expat outside a famous pub in Chanakya Puri! It's not just us, the problem persists in almost every country from where the slutwalk began. All this brouhaha about symbolic feminism and collective endeavor. There can be multiple ways of aking the city safer for women such as stringent punishment, swift action, stronger vigilance by the police. Assuming, you can't really alter the hormones of the titillating man subjected to short clothes, fair skin etc. But since the system's are too frail & mostly the accused find it too east to get away with such crimes. It's only pragmatic to practice the prevention-is-better-than-cure ideology.

Neha said...

totally agree with u himanshu, that Delhites tend to be more fancy n here its mostly about their show off......... as far as givin stringent punishment to those accused goes, i guess v need another Anna Hazare to wake the govt from its slumber wrt this issue....... a girl should be in a position to save herself, come what may......

Unknown said...

Yup! in a position & both willing to save herself :)
(On a lighter note). I think it's all this pomposity is only increasing as days go by. We're seeing conspicuous consumption, retail therapies and wayward infliction. But i am a cynic so you can't really agree with me on things.
Anyways, saw your facebook page, how do you know sugandha agnani? and are you also from icfai or something? (please tell me you're not!) :)

Neha said...

:) sugandha ws my seni0r in sk00l......... & yes, i have passed 0ut fr0m icfai university, just lik u ;)